In 2011, the Lawyers’ Committee launched a direct service program called the Second Chance Legal Clinic to address the civil consequences of the criminal justice system. We partner with private attorneys to meet the needs of our client community.
The Second Chance Legal Clinic assists clients who are working to overcome barriers to employment and housing due to past arrest and conviction records. We provide free reentry legal services—with the possibility of placement with a pro bono attorney for additional representation, where needed—in areas such as:
- Criminal record remedies (“expungement”)
- Housing and Employment rights
- Occupational licensing
- Driver’s licenses
- Criminal background reports
- Public and private housing applications and denials
- Driver’s license suspensions
- Intake hotline (415.814.7610): Before attending one of our clinics, we ask that you call our intake hotline at 415.814.7610. This is so we can be prepared with the necessary information and materials to serve your needs. Although we do accept walk-ins, we are often only able to offer general advice without knowing more information in advance. In the event that we are not able to answer the hotline, please leave a message, and a staff member will return your call in 1-2 business days.
- Clinic locations: The Clinic is offered twice per month at the LCCR offices, located at – 131 Steuart St., #400 , San Francisco, CA 94105. Our location is two blocks away from Bart/MUNI lines and 4 blocks away from the Temporary Transbay Terminal.
- Upcoming Clinic dates: See our Events Calendar for details
- RAP sheets: We encourage clients to bring a recent RAP sheet in order to give the best legal advice. Before getting your RAP sheet, however, we ask that you call our hotline to make sure that it is necessary for your case. If so, follow the steps outlined here: How to Get a Copy of your RAP Sheet.
Second Chance Legal Clinic Handouts
- Second Chance Legal Clinic – Flyer (English)
- Second Chance Legal Clinic – Flyer (Español)
- Second Chance Legal Clinic – Brochure (English)
- Second Chance Legal Clinic – Brochure (Español)
- Know Your Rights – What Are My Rights After My Conviction Is Dismissed? (English)
- Know Your Rights – What Are My Rights After My Conviction Is Dismissed? (Español)
- Know Your Rights – Criminal Records and Employment (English)
- Know Your Rights – Criminal Records and Employment (Español)
- Know Your Rights – Jobs & SF’s Fair Chance Ordinance (English)
- Know Your Rights – Jobs & SF’s Fair Chance Ordinance (Español)